Right of Way Accidents in Indiana – Who’s To Blameadmin
We all strive to be conscientious drivers, keeping in mind the rules of the land as well as other motorists and road users. However, just because you are doing the right thing and ensuring that you and other road users are safe doesn’t mean everyone is doing the same. Indiana car accidents show no sign of letting up, and many people get into serious and sometimes catastrophic Indiana car crashes every day.
Were you involved in a car accident in Northwest Indiana? Call us today on 877-561-3004 to speak to our Indiana accident attorney for free to determine whether your case has merit and how much you can sue for to recover compensation.
Right of way simply refers to the right a certain motorist possesses for safe passage when they encounter other vehicles at special areas of the road such as intersections and traffic stops. Right of way laws vary from one state to the next, but there are some universal ones one must follow in order to stay safe as well as avoid an Indiana car accident lawsuit apportioned on them.
Here are some general right of way rules:
- The first car to enter an intersection has right of way and can cross it, regardless of the location of the second car.
- A vehicle on the left side of the road should always yield to the one on the right.
- If you’re entering a major highway from a slip road, you should always yield to oncoming traffic.
- If there’s a YIELD sign up ahead, slow down and be aware of your environment. Most likely, there will be an accident or oil spill up ahead, and you may have to come to a complete stop to let EMS pass or divert the course of your trip.
- The previous point brings us to the next one, which is that you should always yield to law enforcement and emergency vehicles.
- Yield to pedestrians using the crosswalk as well as anyone using a guide dog or people walking with a white cane, regardless of whether or not it has a white tip.
Indiana Car Accident Lawyer Help
As a rule of thumb, never assume that other motorists will follow road rules. It is your responsibility to do the right thing and keep yourself and others safe. If you’ve been involved in an Indiana right of way accident, call our Northwest Indiana car accident lawyer Michael McCready today on 877-561-3004 for your free and confidential consultation. We work on a contingency fee basis, so we won’t charge you anything until we win your case for you. Thanks, and we look forward to hearing from you.